FabCOR F6 .052" 50 LB Spool-Many automotive manufacturers currently use solid wire or self-shielded, flux-cored wire in galvanized steel welding applications. With welding speeds between 18 and 24 inches per minute (IPM), these wires offer relatively slow throughput and expose many of the pitfalls of welding with galvanized steel
- Porosity - gas bubbles caused by interaction with zinc coating can become trapped in the weld, causing defects that compromise steel strength; steel melts at 2.500F; zinc melts at 782F and boils/vaporizes at 1,665F
- Burn-through - thinness of galvanized steel can result in weld burn-through, resulting in material loss, costly rework and reduced productivity
- Poor weld penetration - insufficient side-wall penetration reduces material integrity and can lead to premature weld failure
- Spatter - excessive spatter adds to the post-weld cleanup process
- Zinc-coating - requires specific welding techniques to maintain galvanized steel integrity
Shop General Air Service & Supply for all your MIG Wire needs!